I absolutely can't stand this show and stopped watching it years ago as it promotes and condones EXTREMELY dangerous and negligent behaviours both in terms of the exercise and nutrition. Furthermore, it completely demonizes what living a truly healthy lifestyle is all about. To live a healthy lifestyle, you do NOT need to:
1) Exercise for 6-8+ hours per day
2) Perform exercises that are WAY too advanced and dangerous for your current fitness level
3) Eat like a bird and starve yourself
4) Exercise to the point of extreme mental and physical exhaustion
5) Push yourself through excruciating pain
6) Be verbally abused
7) Pass out or throw up during a workout
8) Obsess about a number on the scale
This is NOT a healthy lifestyle, nor will it ever teach you to develop and sustain one. It is the definition of insanity, and will prevent you from starting in the first place, or will set you up to fail...or worse.
Shame on NBC, and the ''trainers'' who have sold themselves out to make lots of money and at the expense of these contestants and the millions of people out there who are struggling to adopt a healthy lifestyle. Contrary to what they, and the diet industry want you to believe, there is NO safe or effective magic formula or quick fix. They are instilling fear in people and are trying to scare/shame them into buying their product (or watching it).
Living a healthy lifestyle is NOT rocket science. It should not remove the fun and joy in life, it should not consume all of your thoughts, and it should not make you miserable. It SHOULD enhance your life, it should be practical, and it should be sustainable.
Some of my tips to adopt and maintain a healthy lifestyle include:
1) Making healthy choices most of the time
2) Enjoying your favourite foods in moderation
3) Working out/being active for 30-60 minutes most days of the week
4) Not beating yourself up if you have a bad day
5) Not falling prey to quick fixes or fad workout that promise results overnight
Be smart and use your brain. If something seems like it is too good to be true, or seems extreme, it likely is. Enhance ALL facets of your life by adopting a healthy lifestyle, and do it the right way. It might take practice and fine-tuning, but it will be WELL worth it.